General information about Valencia
By Marie Sonzini
Currency : Euro € - Postcodes : 46000 to 46080 - Calling code : +34 96...
The two official languages in Valencia and the whole community are Castilian (Spanish) and Valencian (very close to Catalan).
In everyday life, Castilian is mostly spoken in Valencia itself. Valencian is more reserved for the cultural and family field. On the other hand, it is more common to hear Valencian in villages.
Emergency phone numbers
- Hospital, fire, police : 112 (single EU phone number) or...
- Hospital : 085
- Fire (bomberos) : 080
- Local police : 092
- National police : 091
- January 1 :New Year's Eve (Año Nuevo)
- January 6 : Epiphany (Día de los Reyes Magos)
- January 22 : San Vicente Mártir (City of Valencia only)
- March 19 : Saint Joseph's Day (San José, last day of the Fallas
- Easter : Maundy Thursday, Good Friday and Easter Monday
- Monday after Easter : San Vicente Ferrer (Community of Valencia only)
- May 1 : Labour Day
- August 15 : Assumption
- October 9 : Valencia Community Day (Community of Valencia only)
- October 12 : National Day and "Hispanity Day" (Día de la Hispanidad)
- November 1 : All Saint's Day (Día de Todos los Santos)
- December 6 : Constitution Day (Día de la Constitución Española)
- December 8 : Immaculate Conception (Inmaculada Concepción)
- December 25 : Christmas (Navidad)
This seems the most confusing at first. But ultimately, the time difference of opening hours in Spain makes the days longer and gives the feeling of having plenty of time and therefore no need to rush.
Lunch starts generally at around 14 pm and dinner at 10 pm. But don't worry, you can have a paella before in the center of the city. And if you are still hungry, you can always snack in bars throughout the day, have a "bocadillo" (sandwich) at 11 am or tapas at 8 pm.
The very beautiful Post Office of Valencia is open without interruption from 8.30 am to 8.30 pm Monday to Friday and from 8.30 am to 2 pm on Saturday.
Banks are open Monday to Friday from 8.30 am to 2 pm. Some banks open on saturday morning.
Opening hours are generally from 9 am to 2 pm and from 5 pm to 8 pm. But it varies a lot, some shops open earlier and others close later. Some chemist's remain open 24h.
Super & hypermarkets
Supermarkets are open without interruption Monday to Saturday from around 10 am to 10 pm.
Drugstores such as OPENCOR or VIPS remain open all year round from 7 or 8 am to 1 or 2 am which is quite convenient.
FNAC megastore (CDs, DVDs, video games, books, hitech, hifi...) opens all year round, Monday to Saturday from 10 am to 9.30 pm and Sunday and public holiday from 12 am to 9.30 pm.
Since 2013, big stores and hypermarkets are open on Sundays.